The Municipal Forum of New York, Inc.
Urban Leadership Fellows Virtual Program 2021
The Urban Leadership Fellows (ULF) Program is sponsored by The Municipal Forum of New York, Inc., and managed by Futures and Options. The purpose of the six-week, paid, virtual program is to enable New York City high school seniors to gain valuable hands-on work experience and training in the Municipal Finance industry.
- This is a competitive program with limited spaces available. The deadline to apply to the program is March 5th, 2021. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
- Please attach the following documents when submitting your application:
- Your resume
- Your transcript
- A 500 word personal essay that tells us about you. (The essay can be one you have sent to colleges.)
- Interviews will take place in February and March.
- Candidates will be notified of their acceptance into the program by the end of April.
The ULF Program is open to high school SENIORS only. The criteria for selection include:
- A strong interest in a career in finance, business, law, government and/or public policy
- Availability to work 35 hours/week for the duration of the six-week, paid externship in addition to a few afternoons in June
- A 3.0 GPA or higher
- Excellent computer skills
- A well-written personal essay
- Strong verbal and written English skills
Students will work remotely 35 hours per week for six weeks starting Tuesday, July 6, 2021 and ending Friday, August 13, 2021.
Each student or group of students will be matched with a MFNY Mentor with whom they will work throughout the program. MFNY Mentors will meet virtually three times a week with students to assign tasks, guide work flow, provide feedback, and answer questions. MFNY Mentors will assign individual and group work-based projects.
Each student will be assigned a mentor from a Sponsoring Firm. Sponsoring Firm Mentors will meet with the assigned students three times a week.
To enrich their experience, ULF students will be also be paired with young professionals working in public finance who will serve as mentors to whom they can turn for professional advice as they enter careers in business and finance. Young Professional Mentors and students will meet for two events and communicate throughout the program. Young Professional Mentors will provide input to students on their assigned work work-based challenges and other assigned projects.
Orientation and Career Development Workshops
Before the students begin at their sites, they are required to attend a virtual Futures and Options orientation and opening breakfast with Municipal Forum Leaders, Sponsoring Firm Mentors, and Futures and Options staff members. Students will also be required to attend a series entitled "Municipal Bond School." Students will also be required to attend additional Futures and Options career development workshops throughout the six weeks.
Please click here to apply for the 2021 Urban Leadership Fellows Virtual Program!
Please click here to submit your letter of recommendation.
Futures and Options
120 Broadway, Suite 1019, New York, NY 10271
P. 212.601.0002; F. 212.601.0005
Meghan Becker, Program Manager