The Futures and Options Internship Program provides New York City students with critical work-readiness training and the opportunity to gain firsthand work experience as interns with a dynamic range of business partners. At the same time, the Internship Program introduces these business partners to a pipeline of promising, motivated and diverse young men and women who make meaningful contributions to their business, while training to become the leaders of tomorrow.
Futures and Options interns work in paid, mentored internships that best match their skills and interests. After submitting the online application, applicants interview with Futures and Options program coordinators. Applicants who are accepted into the Internship Program will also interview with supervisors at our business partners for specific internship positions. In some cases, applicants may interview at several businesses for different internship opportunities.
If you are hired as a Futures and Options intern, you must be prepared to:
1) Work the required number of hours.
- After School interns: 10 - 15 hours a week. Interns are not expected to work more than 15 hours a week.
- Summer interns: 20 - 35 hours a week.
2) Arrive at work on time each day dressed in the appropriate attire.
- Work schedules are determined by business site needs and the intern's school schedule.
- Appropriate attire is dependent on the business site's culture and supervisor guidelines.
3) Attend regularly scheduled career-readiness workshops and career exploration field trips.
- Learn skills needed to be successful in the workplace.
- Share ideas and learn from your peers who are interns at different businesses.
- Build your professional network.
The Core Internship Program accepts applications on a rolling basis.
If you are interested in applying, please follow the steps below:
1. Check whether you are eligible to apply:
- Are you a high school student living in New York City?
- Are you 16 or older?
- Are you currently in 11th or 12th grade (beginning September 2018)?
- Do you exit school by 2:30 pm?
- Does your schedule allow you to work 10-15 hours a week after school (not weekends)?
2. If you meet the eligibility requirements above, complete the Internship Application here and upload your resume as requested at the end of the application.
3. You will be contacted within two weeks regarding a group interview. On the day of the group interview, please dress professionally and bring a photo ID with you.
4. If you are selected for the next stage of the application process, you will be invited for a one-on-one interview with a Futures and Options program coordinator. Please bring the following items with you to your interview:
- The Student Permission form signed by you and your parent or guardian (download here)
- Fill out Schedule Form (download here)
- A copy of your most recent transcript
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or adviser
- Your current working papers (if under the age of 18)
- Your social security card (or a copy)
- Your school identification card
- A photo ID
Please contact James Gurney or call (212) 601-0002 with any questions.
How to Apply to Career Essentials
Students in the Futures and Options Career Essentials Program participate in 13 supervised workshops that focus on communication, presentation and workplace etiquette skills. This guide provides basic information about the Career Essentials program, including how to apply, what is expected of our students, and what our students may expect from Futures and Options.
The application for the Spring 2019 session is now closed. We will open the application for Fall 2019 in September. Please check back for more information.
Please contact Meghan Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Once we receive your application, you will be contacted by Futures and Options to come in for a group interview. On the day of the interview, please bring the following with you:
- Your school identification card
- Signed Career Essentials Program Student Agreement.
Futures and Options
120 Broadway, Suite 1019
New York, NY 10271